Feeling confident and self-assured is something that we all strive for, but it’s not always easy to achieve.
From negative self-talk to the influence of social media, there are countless factors that can put a dent in our self-esteem and leave us feeling less than great about ourselves.
But the good news is, there are plenty of simple and effective ways to boost your confidence and build a stronger sense of self-worth.
We’ll explore some of the most powerful self-esteem-building techniques available, including 33 self-worth affirmations that you can start using today.
Need more support? You can also read five practical tips for building a stronger, more resilient sense of self.
So if you’re ready to start feeling more confident and capable, read on – I promise you won’t regret it!
33 Self-Worth Affirmations that Will Grow Your Confidence
Ready to shed those self-limiting doubts and step into your power? Here are 33 self-worth affirmations that will help you do just that:
1. I am capable and worthy of achieving my dreams.
2. I am worthy of love and share my love freely with others.
3. Energy and enthusiasm radiate from me, creating opportunities for success.
4. My opinion matters and is valuable.
5. I am a radiant expression of life, shimmering with boundless potential.
6. I will always trust and believe in myself.
7. My past doesn’t define me, and I define my future.
8. My values are worthy, important, and meaningful.
9. When others compliment or praise me, I receive it fully and gracefully.
10. I accept and embrace all of the unique qualities that make me who I am.
11. I am the artist and architect of my life, curating my experiences and living with intention.
12. I give myself grace and compassion when I make mistakes or need to take a break.
13. Challenges are opportunities to bloom into the greatness I’m capable of.
14. I am worthy of an income that supports me financially, emotionally, and spiritually.
15. I make powerful decisions that shape my future for the better.
16. I release any doubts and fears that hold me back from being my fabulous self.
17. I deserve to be respected and appreciated by my loved ones.
18. I am wise, intelligent, and have many gifts of the mind to offer the world.
19. My inner light shines brightly and radiates into the world, guiding me toward my potential.
20. I am a masterpiece, designed by the beautiful world that I live in and come from.
21. My unique talents and skills are a blessing, and the world needs them now more than ever.
22. I use my voice to speak up for what I believe in.
23. Unconditional self-love supports me through any obstacles I may face.
24. I am free to express myself authentically and unapologetically.
25. My self-worth is a reflection of the beauty within me and around me.
26. Moments of true joy, happiness, and contentment come from within me, not from external sources.
27. I am a unique and irreplaceable part of the universe, with a destiny that is all my own.
28. My spirit is made of gold, and each shimmering detail reflects my inherent worthiness
29. I am a vibrant tapestry, woven from the threads of my own rich experiences
30. My spirit is a fountain of joy, overflowing with peace and contentment.
31. My imperfections are not flaws, but part of what makes me beautifully human and unique.
32. My heart is full of light and love, and I radiate positivity and warmth to all those around me.
33. I am worthy of love, abundance, and success, and I confidently step into my power and claim all that I desire.
How to Use Affirmations For Self Worth
If you want to get the most benefits out of self-affirmation possible, it’s important to practice using them regularly, with a sense of intention and conviction.
Here are five tips to get you started:
1. Choose Affirmations that Resonate with You
The first step to using self-worth affirmations is to choose ones that resonate with you on a deep, personal level. Think about what you struggle with the most in terms of self-worth or confidence, whether it’s negative self-talk, fear of rejection, or something else entirely.
Then find affirmations that speak to those issues and inspire you to feel more positive and capable. For example, you might use the affirmation, “I am worthy of love and kindness – including from myself” if you struggle with negative self-talk.
This helps us to “crowd out” the unproductive or painful thoughts with more supportive ones, which allows for the affirmations to work their magic.
2. Repeat Affirmations Daily
Once you have your affirmations, start repeating them daily. Say them out loud while visualizing yourself embodying the qualities or attributes you are affirming.
Speak to them with conviction and confidence, allowing yourself to truly believe in their power.
Choose a time of day that works best for you and your lifestyle. Are you a morning person? Use affirmations to add some pep to your step at the beginning of the day. Do you feel yourself burning out around lunchtime? Practice an affirmation before you eat.
Whenever you choose, make sure to be consistent. This is the most important factor when it comes to seeing results from your self-worth affirmation practice.
3. Write Down Your Affirmations and Carry Them with You
To help you stay consistent with your affirmation practice, write them down and carry them with you throughout the day. This could be in a journal, on a sticky note, or set as a reminder on your phone.
When your affirmations are handy and already embedded in your environment, you’re much more likely to practice them.
4. Personalize Your Affirmations
Although there are plenty of pre-made affirmations available to choose from, you’ll see the biggest impact when you personalize them. Analyze your struggles and craft affirmations that overcome weaknesses or negative feelings that hinder your self-worth.
For example, if you’re nervous about a looming work promotion, your affirmation could be, “I am enough, and I am capable of achieving all that I desire in the workforce.”
5. Combine Affirmations with Other Self-Care Techniques
Affirmations are powerful, but they work best when combined with other self-care techniques to create a holistic approach to self-improvement. Utilizing a variety of self-care activities that support your self-worth will help you feel better about yourself and stay consistent with your affirmation practice.
You probably already know what soothes your soul and makes you happy, so make more space for those things in your life as a form of self-care. And if you need a few more ideas, read below for some additional self-care activities you can try.
How to Build Your Self-Esteem: 5 Self-Compassionate Tips
Ready to expand into an even deeper level of self-worth? Self-esteem has its roots in our childhood experiences, and as adults, we can take the reigns and start to nurture our own feelings of worthiness and self-compassion.
Here are five tips to get you started on your journey of self-love:
1. Practice Mindfulness
The practice of mindfulness may not sound like it has much to do with self-esteem, but the two are actually closely connected.
Mindfulness helps us become aware of our thoughts and feelings, allowing us to gain perspective on how we think about ourselves. When we can observe our own self-criticisms without judgment or attachment, we create more space for compassionate self-talk.
You can practice mindfulness by:
- Taking a few moments to meditate each day.
- Participating in activities that help you stay present, such as yoga or tai chi.
- Simply taking more time to pause and become aware of your surroundings.
- Turning off your electronics and limiting your distractions can also help you stay mindful.
2. Connect with (or Create) a Supportive Social Group
It’s well known that humans are social beings, and while it can be hard to seek out connection, it’s essential for our well-being.
The good news is that no matter how you like to connect with others, be it through online or in-person communities, there are plenty of ways to build a supportive social group.
Not only can you find groups that understand and relate to your experiences, but you have the opportunity to teach and learn from each other. Even just having a listening ear can do wonders for improving our self-esteem.
So think of one step you can take to deepen your involvement with a loved one, or how you can start to cultivate a new relationship if you’re lacking meaningful connections.
3. Take Care of Your Body
Good health and well-being are things that we all need to take seriously, yet often let slip in our busy lives. But taking care of your body is essential if you want to stay physically fit, mentally sharp, and emotionally balanced.
Try focusing on these three areas to improve the state of your body, mind, and spirit:
Regular physical activity helps improve mental clarity, boost energy levels, and support good bodily functions.
Even if you don’t have time for intense workouts at the gym, any activity like walking, running or cycling is enough to get your heart rate up and improve your physical condition.
And don’t forget stretching – it’s just as important – since this helps mobilize joints which can reduce tension and improve circulation.
What you eat directly affects how you feel mentally and physically. That’s why sticking to nutritious foods will help ensure that you remain energized throughout the day.
Make sure to include a variety of fruits, vegetables, and minimally processed foods in your diet so that you can get a wide range of vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients that keep your body functioning optimally.
This doesn’t mean you can’t have treats, but you may want to rethink healthier alternatives that make you feel satisfied.
For example, instead of grabbing a bottle of wine or beer for the weekend, learn how to make mead or kombucha. Actually investing in and creating your healthier alternatives can be a fun and rewarding experience.
Get Enough Sleep
Getting at least 7-8 hours of quality sleep per night is hugely beneficial for both physical well-being and mental clarity. Research has also shown that inadequate sleep can play havoc with hormonal imbalances which can affect mood swings too.
So try not to skimp on sleep whenever possible. Hit the hay earlier so that you wake up feeling refreshed the next morning.
4. Connect With Nature
There are so many ways to benefit from spending time in nature. Studies have found that just 20 minutes a day in nature can help reduce stress, blood pressure, and cortisol levels.
It doesn’t matter if you choose to sit by a lake or take a walk around the park – what matters is that you connect with the natural environment around you and immerse yourself in it.
If you don’t know how to connect with nature because you don’t have time or access to tranquil outdoor spaces, try bringing nature indoors with plants or pictures of nature scenes. You can also find audio tracks that reflect the sounds of nature to create a calming atmosphere.
Houseplants, or adding plants to the outside of your home can also be a great way to connect with nature. Gardening is an especially relaxing and enjoyable activity for many, as it lets you enjoy the beauty of nature while also contributing to the environment.
Regardless of your level of involvement, connecting with nature can give us all a sense of perspective and peace.
5. Make Time for Celebration and Play
Working on your self-esteem isn’t just about being productive, it also means enjoying and celebrating where you’re currently at. And yes, you can love yourself, feel high levels of self-esteem, and accomplishment without needing to do anything to prove it to yourself!
Taking time to have fun helps us to naturally feel worthy of who we are and where we are in life. Children, for example, have an innate capacity for joy and playfulness that allows them to feel confident, curious, and capable.
You likely once felt this way, and as most adults do, you may have forgotten how to truly let go and enjoy life. But it’s not too late!
Here’s a list of ways to make more time for fun, recreation, and celebration in your life:
- Take a dance class
- Spend time with friends
- Go for a walk in nature
- Play an instrument
- Watch a comedy movie
- Plan a weekend getaway
- Make art – even if it’s just doodling!
Of course, your idea of fun is going to be vastly different than someone else’s, and that’s good! Make sure that you do what you consider to be fun and pleasurable, even if it doesn’t seem like the most impressive activity.
Final Thoughts: 33 Self-Worth Affirmations for Building Self-Esteem
Having a strong sense of self-worth is essential if you want to lead a healthy and prosperous life. I’m here to tell you that no matter what the circumstances are – you are worth respecting and loving.
Believe in yourself and follow your heart – that’s the best way to take care of your body, mind, and soul!
This guest post was submitted by Rachel Dennis, wellness worker and author of City Homesteads