Feeling indecisive is a normal part of life, but there comes a time when decisions need to be made. Maybe you need to make a major life decision in relation to a new job, moving to a new place, or even about your lifestyle. It’s helpful to move from a place of indecision to confidence, and these quotes about indecision might just help you with that.
Why is indecision unhelpful?
You might feel indecisive about what to have for lunch today, or what to do at the weekend. These are normal feelings, and you don’t need to worry about them. If you’re feeling indecisive about some major life decisions, this is completely different.
If you find yourself frozen in a place of indecision over a major change, this can be unhelpful. The longer you wait, the more confused you’re likely to become. We often spend so much time overthinking that we end up going round in circles, never arriving at a conclusion.
This is why mental clarity is so important. The clearer you are about what matters to you in life, the easier it will be to make a decision. It’s natural that big decisions take some time to think about, but if you have mental clarity, you can be sure that you will make the right decision quicker than if you didn’t.
Mental clarity is all about getting to know who you are, what matters to you, and where you want to go in life. When you know these things, you can move forward, knowing you’re making the right decision.
Here are powerful quotes about indecision that will hopefully help you gain some clarity and move forward with your choices.
Quotes about indecision
- “The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision.” – Maimonides
- “Indecision may or may not be my problem.” – Jimmy Buffett
- “Indecision and delays are the parents of failure.” – George Canning
- “There is no more miserable human being than one in whom nothing is habitual but indecision.” – William James
- “Indecision and reveries are the anesthetics of constructive action.” – Sylvia Plath
- “All around me insisted that my doubts proved only my own ignorance and sinfulness; that they knew by experience they would soon give place to true knowledge, and an advance in religion; and I felt something like indecision.” – Maria Monk
- “I think possibly what people working for one hate the most is indecision. Even if I’m completely unsure, I’ll pretend I know exactly what I’m talking about and make a decision. The most important thing I can do is try and make myself very clearly understood.” – Anna Wintour
- “I am very indecisive. I’m always afraid of making the wrong decision.” – Katie Leung
- “I’m too keen for people to like me. If I didn’t care so much, I would be more decisive. I spend a lot of time concerning myself with what other people will think of my actions, which makes me very indecisive.” – Rick Stein
- “The word tomorrow was invented for indecisive people and for children.” – Ivan Turgenev
Quotes about making choices
- “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” – William Jennings Bryan
- “Too often in life, something happens and we blame other people for us not being happy or satisfied or fulfilled. So the point is, we all have choices, and we make the choice to accept people or situations or to not accept situations.” – Tom Brady
- “If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.” – Neil Peart
- “When you wake up every day, you have two choices. You can either be positive or negative; an optimist or a pessimist. I choose to be an optimist. It’s all a matter of perspective.” – Harvey Mackay
- “It is our choices… that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – J. K. Rowling
- “Our lives are a sum total of the choices we have made.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Making better choices takes work. There is a daily give and take, but it is worth the effort.” – Tom Rath
- “Make bold choices and make mistakes. It’s all those things that add up to the person you become.” – Angelina Jolie
- “If you make decisions based upon people’s reactions or judgments then you make really boring choices.” – Heath Ledger
Quotes about being brave in the face of making choices
- “What is fear after all? It is indecision. You seek some way to resist, escape. There is none.” – Anne Rice
- “Indecision with the passing of time becomes decision.” – Bill W.
- “Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next.” – Gilda Radner
- “Leadership – leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses.” – Mitt Romney
- “Never look down to test the ground before taking your next step; only he who keeps his eye fixed on the far horizon will find the right road.” – Dag Hammarskjold
- “It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be.” – Isaac Asimov
- “Living with fear stops us taking risks, and if you don’t go out on the branch, you’re never going to get the best fruit.” – Sarah Parish
- “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
- “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “I don’t want other people to decide who I am. I want to decide that for myself.” – Emma Watson
Final thoughts on quotes about indecision
Hopefully the above quotes have educated you on indecision and how to react to it. It’s normal to not know what path to take, but with a little reflection, it should become clearer.
Use these quotes to help guide you when you need to make a decision. If in doubt, always listen to your intuition. Any choice you make will ultimately help you learn a lot about yourself. Believe in your ability to make the right choice for optimal growth.