We all know that real change starts from within and by loving ourselves no matter what, but this is easier said than done.
When we receive hundreds, if not thousands of subliminal messages throughout the day via advertising and social media telling us that we need to be better, self-love can seem impossible.
Many industries thrive on our insecurities, feeding us the idea that we have to purchase the latest product to feel worthy or valid. Let’s face it – self-acceptance and self-love doesn’t sell.
In this article we’ll explore the power of loving yourself and cover the best self-love affirmations to naturally increase feelings of compassion towards yourself.
What is self-love?
Self-love is about accepting ourselves, no matter what.
It is about creating a sense of compassion towards oneself, recognizing that we are human, and being kind to ourselves when we mess up.
We are humans, not machines. The human experience is messy, exciting, unpredictable, challenging, and confusing at times.
There is no such thing as perfect. Practicing self-love is all about learning to accept ourselves as we are, including the parts of ourselves we might not particularly like.
Self-love isn’t selfish or narcissistic
Although practicing self-love can seem indulgent, and even selfish, it is completely the opposite.
It is only when we take proper care of ourselves and our own needs that we are able to contribute to our relationships, friendships and wider society in a way that we couldn’t if we were acting from a place of low self-worth.
Self love makes us more likely to establish boundaries, say no when we need to, and realize just how valuable we are.
It also allows us to treat others with more compassion and acceptance, recognizing the inherent humanity we all share.
How do affirmations work?
Affirmations are statements, usually beginning with ‘I am’, which include powerful words that affect the conscious and subconscious mind.
By repetition and reinforcement, we are able to mould our mindset to include more positivity and optimism.
Affirmations are by no means the full solution, but they are one tool out of many that can help positively impact our lives.
You can repeat them aloud, write them down, set them as your laptop background, set reminders on your phone… the list is endless.
The key here is repetition. Even if they seem silly at first, eventually any resistance you might feel will begin to fade away. You can read about the science behind affirmations here.
How do I use self-love affirmations?
It can be difficult to know where to start when it comes to using affirmations. Here are the top tips to make sure you get the most out of them:
Choose affirmations that resonate with you
Affirmations need to feel good when you use them, so it is important that you choose ones that resonate with you.
If a statement seems unbelievable, simply don’t use it and choose another that feels right.
You might want to pick affirmations that include phrases such as “I am willing to….” or “I am worthy of…” as these introduce the possibility of something rather than saying you are directly something.
You might even decide to write your own, which is even better! Learn how to write your own affirmations here. The more personal they are, the more effective they will be.
Include them in your daily routine
Affirmations need to be used regularly in order for them to work. A great idea is to include them in places that you spend a lot of time in throughout the day.
You can prop up a handwritten affirmation on your desk at work, or save them as your phone or computer background. You can also set reminders on your phone so they pop up throughout the day.
Another great idea is to spend a few moments in the morning or evening writing out some affirmations in your journal. Writing an affirmation letter is also a really useful tool to connect with affirmations in a deeper way.
The most important thing is that you refer to them on a regular basis so you can begin to increase feelings of self-love.
Journaling and other exercises
The Bloom Affirmations Self-Love eWorkbook contains 8 exercises including affirmations and journaling to help connect you back to yourself and increase feelings of love and acceptance.
When you commit to your self-love practice in a deeper way, this is when you really begin to see the results.
Top affirmations for self-love
Feel free to use the ones that resonate, and leave or edit the ones that don’t. Enjoy the feelings of peace and acceptance they bring!
- I completely love, accept and forgive myself.
- I am enough, just as I am.
- My worth and value is determined by me.
- I am worthy and I am whole.
- I am kind to myself, even on difficult days.
- My natural state is one of peace and acceptance.
- I release the need to be perfect.
- I am deserving of love and respect.
- My thoughts are loving towards myself and others.
- I release the need to be approved by others.
- I celebrate my strengths and I am accepting of my flaws.
- Love, acceptance, and compassion come easily to me.
- I believe in myself and my abilities.
- I treat my flaws with acceptance and compassion.
- Love is always the answer.
More self love affirmations
- I choose to be kind to myself.
- I believe I am worthy of my own respect.
- Every day I am learning to be more loving towards myself.
- I am already whole and complete.
- I determine my worth.
- Accepting myself comes naturally to me.
- I let go of the past and choose to focus on the present.
- I am stronger than I know.
- It’s okay for me to make mistakes as long as I learn from them.
- My heart is open and ready to receive love.
- The world needs what I have to offer.
- I am capable of releasing old patterns and behaviors.
- Others love and accept me for who I am.
- I honor myself in all forms.
- I know I have what it takes to shine.
Choosing to cultivate feelings of self-love and acceptance will never be regretted. Use the above affirmations to increase feelings of self-love and acceptance. Remember you are enough, exactly as you are.